Friday, August 21, 2009

Wild Mushroom and Blue Cheese Quiche

It has been a long time since I've had a quiche.  My mom used to make them all the time when I was younger.  My favorite part was always the crust.  I enjoy it so much I would like to just make a pie of crust to eat by itself.  I decided I'd give my try at making a quiche.  I found this recipe for a wild mushroom and blue cheese quiche, and it worked out that I had most of the ingredients on hand.  I tend to choose recipes that I know we have a lot of the ingredients lying around.  And I've also figured out that my style is kind of semi-homemade because I like to use shortcuts like refrigerated crust.  I really liked this quiche, it reminded me of this caramelized onion and gorgonzola focaccia bread I used to get at farmer's market from the Word of Mouth Bakery.  I thought the mushrooms might be weird coming from a jar, but the balsamic vinegar and garlic really changed the smell and flavor.  Making this was very aromatic and delicious.  The blue cheese had a strong taste, be cautious if you're not really into blue cheese.  The site where I got this recipe from states "Not only does blue cheese taste wonderful in quiche, but it's an unexpected surprise for even experienced quiche-eaters."  I would agree as it is a very dominant flavor of this quiche.  Since I used a refrigerated pie crust, I only used the recipe to make the filling.
DSC03826
Wild Mushroom and Blue Cheese Quiche
adopted from Cooking.com
Ingredients:
1 pillsbury refrigerated pie crust

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter

1 cup chopped onion

10 oz mixed mushrooms (cremini, shitake, oyster)

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 garlic clove, minced

1 1/4 cups crumbled blue cheese

1 cup whipping cream

3 large eggs

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1/4 teaspoon (scant) salt

Pinch of ground black pepper


Directions:
 Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook until juices form, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and garlic. Simmer uncovered just until juices evaporate, about 5 minutes. Cool mushroom mixture completely.
Roll pie crust into a pie pan as directed. Spoon mushroom mixture evenly over bottom of crust. Sprinkle half of blue cheese over.
DSC03824 Whisk cream, eggs, parsley, salt and black pepper in medium bowl to blend. Slowly pour custard over fillings. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake quiche on baking sheet until puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Turn off the oven but let the quiche remain in the heat for about 5-10 more minutes.  Cool on rack 15 minutes.
DSC03831

No comments:

Post a Comment