Sunday, August 16, 2009

Monstrous Hard Boiled Egg Cookies

Finally!  After a week of a single boiled egg sitting in the fridge, I finally make the highly anticipated hard boiled egg cookies.  I have an obsession with extra large cookies.  This obsession has been ever since I went to Disney World last year and saw a lady with an monstrous cookie on the monorail.  My friend and I went on a quest through all of the hotels the monorail stopped at to find where these enormous palm sized cookies were sold.  Making cookies of this size just fascinates me how large they can get.  They also seem to maintain their texture and consistency for the days that they are able to survive in a container without being consumed.  This was the first time I have ever used a food processor to make cookies and also the first time I've used a boiled egg in such a recipe.
DSC03779

Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies

12. 4 oz all purpose bleached flour (2 ¾ cups spooned and swept)

8 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks (16 tablespoons)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 hard boiled egg, cut into big chunks

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips

Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until mixture is mealy and coarse. Add the salt and baking soda and pulse to mix. Add both sugars and hard boiled egg. Pulse again until mixture is mealy looking. Add in the raw egg and vanilla and pulse until mixture just begins to come together. Dump mixture into a bowl, add chocolate chips and shape into balls. You will see egg whites in dough – they’ll disappear as the cookies bake. Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until cookies appear lightly browned around edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to rack to finish cooling.

DSC03770

And if this was not enough to grasp the concept of how large they were, I compared it to my face!

DSC03783

3 comments:

  1. I've gotta try this one! Thanks for posting...


    Lisa @
    All That and a Box of Rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure is one big cookie! They look delicious....I've never seen a cookie recipe that contains a hard boiled egg, very interesting : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, never heard of a hard boiled egg in a cookie - but they look amazing! I will have to think about trying this!

    ReplyDelete