Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Love my beans!

I love beans!  Recently, just this summer, I have realized my obsession for beans.  It started in the dining halls filling condiment cups with kidney beans.  And then my dad's crockpot beans, and then Kate's moms beans, that I ate and craved for several days straight when I was in Florida.  I've been planning to make these beans ever since I got back.  I've collected the ingredients, I've just been waiting for the right meal to pair them with.  Tonight my dad and I made a mini feast.  My dad cooked Sutter Sirloin steak on the grill, and I made beans and a roasted vegetable salad.  If anyone has some good recipes for beans, post 'em here! 
Here are the recipes for the sides I made:
DSC03856
Anita Bruce's Baked Beans
from June Newman
Ingredients:
4 slices diced bacon, browned
1 28 oz. can Van Camp's pork & beans
1 16 oz. can red kidney beans
1 16 oz. can Bush's large butter beans
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (more or less)


Directions:
Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving.


Tip: Works well in a crock-pot.  Heat on low for about 3 hours or until cheddar cheese is completely melted and beans are bubbly.


I made a double batch of this recipe because there's nothing wrong with leftover beans!


DSC03857

DSC03849
Roasted Vegetable Salad
adapted from Everyday Food
Ingredients:
2 carrots, cut into 2-inch matchsticks
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small red onion, cut into wedges, layers separated
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 heads romaine, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, and onion with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
Roast until vegetables are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes, tossing once.
In a serving bowl, whisk together vinegar and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce, and toss. Top with roasted vegetables and goat cheese.
Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment