Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chocolate Cherry Freeze Cake

For my dad's birthday I wanted to make him his favorite dessert, cherry pie.  I was originally going to make it over the weekend to celebrate while our grandparents were visiting, but I just didn't get around to it.  Since I've never made a cherry pie before, I thought I should have a good amount of time to dedicate to it.  The furthest I got was buying fresh cherries, which are still sitting in our fridge.  However, I also cheated and bought a can of cherry pie filling.  I didn't exactly want my first cherry pie to be a fake, so I concocted this dessert.  Brownie bottom ice cream pies have become one of my favorite desserts to make because they are easy, but turn out so well.  

DSC03813
Chocolate Cherry Freeze Cake
Ingredients:
1 box fudge brownie mix, made as directed
Some of your choice of flavor ice cream (I used chocolate chip)
Chocolate sauce, to drizzle
1 can cherry pie filling
Whipped cream

Directions:
First, make the brownie in a 9 in. pie pan as directed.  Remove from oven, and let it cool for about 10 minutes.  Then dig out the center of the brownie, leaving a ring of crust on the outsides.  Drizzle with chocolate sauce and then put in the freezer to cool.
Next, once the brownie crust has cooled, let the ice cream of your choice soften until it is workable.  Then fill the center of the brownie crust.
DSC03773
Put this in the freezer to mold together and hold its shape. I left this in the freezer overnight.
The next day I took the pie out and covered the top with cherry pie filling (and reserved a little). We weren't ready to eat the pie yet so I put it back into the freezer and let the cherry topping freeze. This would also be good with the cherry topping fresh from the can and not frozen.
DSC03777
When we were finally ready to eat, I used the reserved topping to freshen up the frozen cherry topping and surrounded the edge with whipped cream. Let the pie thaw until you are able to cut, then serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment