Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oreo Cookie Cookies

I love anything cookies 'n cream, like ice cream.  But I don't really care for oreos by themselves because I feel like they're so processed.  Yet my favorite part of cookies 'n cream ice cream are the huge chunks of cookies.  I saw this recipe on Nosh and Tell and the chunks of oreo just looked so good!  I decided to try these, and while I making these I realized the recipe got even better when it called for one tablespoon of vanilla extract.  My favorite part of cookies is the vanilla extract and I always let my measurements pour over the one teaspoon most recipes call for. And as I write this I go out to taste another one to give an accurate review :).  Even after setting, the chocolate chips stay gooey, while the oreo cookie gives it a nice crunch.  
DSC03836
Overall, the cookie is much crunchier than it is chewy, but that's mostly around the edges.  I like the color of these for some reason because you can see the speckles of dark oreo cookies throughout the cookie, and then decent sized black chunks of oreo peeking through the top.  While I was informing my parents of what I was making, they were confused by the repetitiveness of the name "Oreo Cookie Cookies" and thought I was saying "Oreo oreo cookies" and instead thought I meant to saying something along the lines of "Chocolate oreo cookies."
DSC03832
Oreo Cookie Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
20 oreos, crushed

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Add in the crushed oreos. Beat on low speed for just a few seconds to break up the oreos in the dough. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.

Drop cookie dough a rounded tbsp at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
DSC03835

2 comments:

  1. These do look great and it is nice to see the two chocolates peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA my goodness. Yours look absolutely delicious. So glad you liked the recipe. Ugh I think I'm drooling.
    -Whitney

    ReplyDelete