Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars

My biggest downfall in baking is not thoroughly reading directions.  I thought I had completely messed up this recipe.  Instead of combining certain ingredients together at one time and adding a few later, I unknowingly combined them all together at once and then discovered there was a chronological order I was supposed to follow.  Based on the appearance of my dough, which was dry because I added the flour at the wrong time, I thought I had ruined the whole cake.  The cookie dough did not form balls but rather crumbled.  I was left to create large balls of what would stay and then sprinkle the rest on top.  And since I didn't have any mini-chips, I substituted regular chocolate chips that I couldn't mix into the crust.  I had to make some alterations, and surprisingly this cookie dough cheesecake turned out with delicious flavor.  I was afraid that because my cookie balls were so thick, the cheesecake would not fully cook, or I would be unable to determine the doneness.  I had been eyeing this recipe since I bought the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookbook.  I find cookie dough and cheesecake to be so appealing now, especially since when I was younger I detested the idea of cheese and cake.  This is definitely (well, at least for me and my circumstances) a dessert that requires a plate and fork.  It is not something that will simply work by sitting on a paper towel and being consumed by hand or on-the-go.  I found this recipe to be less of a "bar" and more of a "cake".
DSC03794

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars

from the Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook

Crust

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 Tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup miniature chocolate chips

Cookie Dough

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Cheesecake Filling

10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prreheat oven to 325°. Butter a 9″-square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to extend over the sides. Butter the parchment paper. (Note: I used foil because I did not have parchment and it worked just fine).

To prepare the crust combine graham cracker crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Stir in the mini-chocolate chips. (Note: I did not have miniature chips, so I blended regular chocolate chips and mixed them in with the graham cracker crumbs which created a chocolate graham crust).

Press crust mixture into bottom of pan and 1 inch up sides. Bake for 6 minutes. Set pan on wire rack to cool

Next Prepare the cookie dough. Using an electric mixer, mix butter, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract at medium speed until smooth. Decrease mixer speed to low and add flour (Note: add flour slowly because you may not need all of it. You want the dough to come together so you can easily shape small balls). Mix just until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.

To prepare the filling, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar just until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating just until blended.

Pour batter into baked crust. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls over the top of the filling.

Bake about 30 minutes, or until set. Transfer to wire rack.

To decorate with drizzled chocolate, place chocolate in a sandwich bag on a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30 second intervals moving the chocolate around between. Using scissors, cut the very tip off the sandwich bag. The smaller your cut, the smalled the drizzle.

Using the edges of the parchment paper, remove bars from pan. Cut into bars and serve. These bars are served best at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment