Saturday, September 5, 2009

SF Picnic and Ike's


To celebrate my birthday, Julian and I went to San Francisco where I packed a picnic for us to have at the Golden Gate Park.

DSC03994

Along with sandwiches, watermelon and grapes, I made this bean salad to take along with us:
DSC03990

Since I didn't have White Balsamic Vinaigrette, I substituted with regular balsamic vinegar because I researched that the main difference was a sweeter taste in balsamic vinegar and that the white provides a more aesthetic appeal because of its neutral color. Based on my changes, my main suggestion would be to use less dijon if you don't want such a strong mustardy flavor.

Bean Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
From Angela Tunner's Simply Summer

1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas
1 can (16 ounces) white beans
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans
2 teaspoons minced garlic (I used about 2 cloves)
1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon dried tarragon (I had fresh, and used a little more)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
Pepper, to taste
Fresh lemon juice (optional, to taste)

Basically this is a dump and mix recipe (of the highest order, of course!).  Drain the beans and rinse them off in a colander so you get rid of all that slimy stuff they're canned in.  Then put them in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.  Since canned beans aren't as sturdy as dried, be careful while you mix so as not to break up the beans.  Squirt with a little lemon juice if you'd like before serving.

Later in the evening, after our picnic and shopping, we ended the night by going to Ike's Place, a sandwich shop I saw Adam Richman visit on his San Francisco episode of Man v. Food.  This wasn't the place where Adam faced a challenge, but it was just one of the pigout stops before he encountered the "Kitchen Sink" at the San Francisco Creamery in Walnut Creek.  Ike's Place offers a set of sandwiches listed on the board, but then the guy offered us to look at the "Sandwich Bible" which had an overwhelming 188 different meat sandwiches, and also an additional number of vegatarian and vegan choices.  I ordered the [Name of the girl I'm dating] sandwich which had Halal chicken breast, honey mustard, avocado and pepperjack cheese on dutch crunch bread.  It was seriously the best sandwich I have ever had. It wasn't like a big hunk of chicken, and it wasn't just slices of meat.  Some how it seemed to break up apart as I bit into it and I don't even know how to explain the flavor!  They make their own bread and add a "dirty sauce," like a garlic aoili, that they bake into the bread.  The only problem was that we went around 9pm, and the place is so small the only seating is outside.  There were only 3 tables, all of which were taken up.  So we got our order to go and devoured/indulged ourselves in Julian's car.  But seriously, these sandwiches were so good I could have enjoyed one anywhere.

DSC04000
3506 16th St
(between Prosper St & Sanchez St)
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415) 553-6888

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. I love San Francisco, but we are in Kentucky and very far away. Nice that you could go there for the day. Great picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sandwich bible! Your bean salad looks great. And I did not know that about the balsamic vinegar.

    ReplyDelete