Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dirt and Worms Cake

This cake was my brother's request and I promised to make it for him before I left.  I know Savemart sells 2-layer "Dirt and Worm" cakes in the bakery, but when I searched online I could only find recipes for "cakes" (more like trifles) consisting of cream cheese and broken up oreo pieces stuffed into flower pots or sand pails.  However, I wanted to make an actual cake.  So this is my rendition of what I believe to be a dirt and worms cake.  I made two of these small cakes, one for my brother's pleasure, and another one to take to work for my self-declared going away party.


DSC04055
Dirt and Worms Cake
Ingredients:
1 box Devil's food cake mix
1 box Jell-O chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
1/2 package Oreo Cookies, crushed
1 6 oz. package gummy worms


Directions:
Bake the cake as directed on the package.  Let the cake cool for at least one hour.  Remove from pan and slice in half.  
Prepare pudding as directed on package.  Spread pudding onto the first layer of cake.  Cover with crushed Oreo cookies.  
DSC04045
Place second cake layer on top.  Poke holes with a chopstick or other instrument similar in size in various places on top.  Stick gummy worms through the holes until they reach the second layer but are still visible on the top.  Spread pudding mix around the worms to coat the cake.  Top with more crushed oreos.  
Lick up any excess of pudding, oreo crumbs, gummy worms, or any sign of mess, and enjoy the cake!

DSC04054

No comments:

Post a Comment