Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chocolate Macadamia Lace Cookies

This recipe reminds me of the cookies available at Whole Foods and Trader Joes.  They are really good store-bought cookies.  I tried to recreate them with this recipe I found online.  However, I did not have the exact ingredients...so what did I do?  What I always do (even if it makes the recipe not so good)...improvised!  I did not have vanilla paste, so I used extract, which probably led to the cookies being even more fragile than initially intended.  I don't know how I feel about these...maybe I used too much chocolate.  Eating these gives you an extreme sugar rush, where you feel out of it and jittery.  So maybe a word of advice, just follow the actual recipe, and maybe I'll try the same some day.  


DSC04771
Chocolate Macadamia Lace Cookies
based on recipe by Gourmet Betty


Ingredients
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, Ghirardelli or other fine quality chocolate, cut into pieces (I used chips, and I think I ended up using 1/2-3/4 cups of them).
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste (I substituted with vanilla extract)
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.


2. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, cook stirring with rubber spatula frequently for about 5 minutes.


3. Pour butter mixture into small bowl and let cool slightly.


4. In a large bowl, combine chopped nuts, sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt until blended. Fold in butter and combine until blended.


5. Drop the batter by tablespoons about 3" apart.


6. Bake 6 -8 minutes. You know they're done when the cookies are bubbling and completely flat.


7. Let cool until hard enough to transfer to container. Very fragile, not very good cookies for transporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment