Thursday, May 13, 2010

Muffins

So I woke up at 630 this morning, to the sound of my lovely Heidi leaving for a morning run.  For some reason I thought that the best idea would be to get up and start baking muffins for my roommate to return to.  I started with the simple box mix, cranberry-orange flavored, finding that the ingredients were incredibly simple, and not knowing why I didn't just make these for the hell of it before.  To add a special touch, I added some ghiradelli white chocolate chips to the mix.  
DSC05438
The second muffins came from my desperate need to use my overly browning/blackening bananas.  I always want/need bananas, use/eat one, and then the rest just brown and begin to mold.  These were good, partially because I love anything with streusel topping.  


DSC05442


Crunchy Crumb Banana Muffins
from the Mini Sam Tan Kitchen



Sift together in a large bowl:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of mixed spice/cinnamon

Combine in a separate bowl and then fold into flour mix until just moistened:
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown both work)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup melted butter/oil
Dash of vanilla extract
Optional: stir in some chopped pecans/walnuts if desired.

Line muffin pan with paper cases and spoon batter in until 2/3 full.

Cinnamon Crumb Topping
Mix together:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Cut in 1 tbsp butter using a two butter knives or a fork until the mix resembles a coarse, crumbly cornmeal. Sprinkle generously over muffins before baking.

Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes until golden brown/skewer comes out clean.

DSC05446

No comments:

Post a Comment