Thursday, July 29, 2010

Coconut-Pineapple Loaf Cake

Once again, a very "moist cake."  This one I felt the need to get rid of the many cans of pineapple chunks my grandma has provided me with in the bulk supply of costco.  I found this cake, but unfortunately I do not have sour cream sitting around.  I've been running into a lot of recipes lately that call for sour cream, so I looked for a substitute and found that for every cup of sour cream, you can use a cup of yogurt plus 1 tsp. of baking soda.  For this recipe, I did not have any plain yogurt, so I used 8 oz. of yoplait pineapple upside down cake yogurt and 1 tsp. of baking soda.  I like to freeze my yogurts, so I thawed the 8 oz. I needed in the microwave at 20 seconds, and so the yogurt had a thicker texture than regular refrigerated yogurt.  I was very satisfied with the outcome, and would definitely make again.


DSC06504
Coconut-Pineapple Loaf Cake
adopted from Martha Stewart
Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon added w/yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) Yoplait Pineapple Upside-Down Cake yogurt
  • 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained well
  • Directions:

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, tossing occasionally, 6 to 10 minutes; set aside. Butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch (8-cup) loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
    2. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low, and alternately add flour mixture in three parts and yogurt in two (remaining 1 tsp baking soda divided between the two parts), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
    3. Using a rubber spatula, fold pineapple and 1 cup coconut into batter. Spoon into prepared pan, and smooth top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes (cover pan with foil halfway through). Let cake cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
DSC06505


DSC06506

No comments:

Post a Comment